Video Streaming is a trending area that grows and wides its borders. In fact, one-third of all consumed content is accounted for videos. Needless to say that pre-produced video content is the next big thing in online marketing. 74% of marketers and small business owners who used videos confirmed a direct effect on their company. GBKSOFT suggests that videos will account for 82% of global internet traffic by the end of 2020.
While the focus is shifting towards pre-produced videos, there is an even bigger trend upcoming – live streaming videos.
Live Video Streaming Statistics
Recently the statistics of live streaming usage have increased a lot. It is connected with the quarantine and home regime. Most events that should be performed and were canceled because of Coronavirus, now are available online. Concerts, conferences, sport, or award events are represented in live streaming. Here are the latest statistics:
- 80% of consumers would rather watch a live video than read a blog.
- Video streaming is expected to account for 82% of all Internet traffic in 2020.
- Consumers are 39% more likely to share video content.
- Sporting events account for 86% of live-streamed content.
- 78% of the audience is already watching Live videos on Facebook.
Game of Thrones’ live stream on Facebook was watched 3,5 million times and raised almost 200 000 comments.
Analytics say that this sector is having even the bigger market potential than pre-produced video content and definitely greater “hype capacity”.
What is a live streaming app?
Live streaming is a live broadcast of all actions occurring on a particular computer or game console. It allows thousands of users to watch in real-time what makes an interesting person. Game players are the most frequent users of this technology.
But streaming stands not only for video games. The most popular social media apps as Facebook, Instagram, and Periscope launched live streams to allow users to show their activity in real-time. Just imagine that you can virtually visit the show of your favorite rock star by just watching it online on Facebook!
Businesses and customers can also benefit from using a live streaming app. For instance:
- Online training in fitness clubs to attract new customers.
- A paid stream of a culinary class.
- Connecting with smart devices in your house to look after pets/children/housemaid (using IoT). Add a video recording function to keep all the data.
As an example, Sierra Designs (a manufacturer of tents, sleeping bags, and outdoor clothing that is located in Boulder, Colorado) has been using live videos for years and this increases its revenue by 200-300% on the day of streaming, according to Cory Barnes, a company’s director of digital marketing.
Want to know how live streaming app can boost your business?
How to Make Streaming Video App
If you’re thinking about starting an online video streaming business, you need to develop a streaming app. So the first thing to consider is: Who will be your end-user? Your app can connect only two users or speak all over the world. There two types of connection:
- User to User (Skype / Viber).
- User to Audience (Twitch / YouTube / Facebook / Periscope).
As you can imagine, streaming 25 HD images per second requires an immense amount of disk space both on the server and user sides. For example, 60 seconds of 1280×720 video requires about 1Gb of memory space. Fortunately, there are several ways to compress this data.
The first approach is to install special compression programs both on the user and server sides. These programs compress video on the server-side, transmits the file to the user, uncompress it, and send it to the screen/speakers. The drawback of this approach is to pre-install the program on the user’s side.
The second variant of compression is much more convenient. It utilizes codecs. Codec is a general naming for the compression/decompression algorithm that is supported on devices by default. There are numerous codecs for the different OS but most of them use the same video compression format – H.265 video standard.
The Best Gadgets for video live streaming:
Different devices use different codecs. So, your server should be able to decode and stream video to a user in the right format.
- Web live broadcasting apps.
- Live streaming apps for iOS – H.264 and MPEG 4. A full list of supported media formats is here.
- Live stream apps for Android – H.264 and VP8 media codec. A full list of supported media formats is here.
Video Quality & Bandwidth
There are internet bandwidth requirements that users should comply with in order to watch videos without latencies. The required bandwidth varies depending on the video codec you choose and the compression efficiency. Take a look at the table below and check it against the average bandwidth speed in a county for which you’re going to build a Live Streaming App.
Video Properties that affect the size of the file:
- Bit Rate (from 150 to 2,000 Kbps and higher).
- Resolution (from 480×270 to 1280×720 and higher).
- Sample Rate (22,050 / 44,100 / 48,100 Hz) .
- Stereo Audio Bitrate (from 48 to 320 Kbps).
- Frame Rate (30 / 25 fps)./li>
Simultaneous Viewers Limit
It must be acknowledged that knowing how to make a video streaming service that does not crash is vital for every broadcasting system. Thus, you should decide how many simultaneous connections your server can support.
Things that affect streaming performance:
- Processor time for decoding/recoding.
- Processor time for downgrading quality.
- Video and Audio processing.
- Disk Space for saving.
- Server/user side bandwidth.
Check limits for your Streaming App
- Cloud Recording Option enables you to save videos, so users can rewatch them later.
- Geo-Blocking to make your broadcast available only for viewers from specific countries or cities.
- Analytics can be used to monitor users’ preferences, time spent on channels, actions, clicks on ads.
Want to build a live streaming solution for your business?
Most Popular Live Streaming Applications
Periscope is easy in usage live streaming app available for iOS and Android. The features of this app are the following:
- Share a link with streaming to other social media;
- Check the highlights of live streaming;
- Checking the number of viewers, live viewers, timing;
- Access to the web-based interface also available;
- Easy UX and completely free.
This app is considered to be a top live streaming app on the market. It is also available for iOS and Android. Here are some features of Livestream:
- notification about the beginning of mew live streaming of your friends;
- connection professional cameras;
- Trending lives all over the world by categories;
- Uploading photo or video during the live video;
- Comments during the live streaming;
- Changing the front and back camera.
Instagram is one of the trending social media nowadays. People chat, post photos and videos, start live streaming, make interesting stories, exchange information and many other things are available on Instagram.
- Starting live streaming is very simple – you just need to go camera and push the button Live;
- You can invite more people to join your live streaming;
- You can put a filter;
- Comment during the live video.
Facebook Live is a new mode of communication that gives the possibility to hold the events, groups, and individuals to broadcast selectively.
- Watch and interact with live video audiences;
- Video stays in the Facebook feeds;
- Live streaming for up to 90 minutes.
#5 Live Space Station by NASA
Live video from the International Space Station shows internal views when the crew is on-duty and Earth views at other times.
During “loss of signal” periods, viewers will see a blue screen. Since the station orbits the Earth once every 90 minutes, it experiences a sunrise or a sunset about every 45 minutes. When the station is in darkness, the external camera video may appear black, but can sometimes provide spectacular views of lightning or city lights below.
Building a live streaming app: a case study
Most of the existing apps provide a limited set of functions and monetization options. Those services can only be used for branding or self-promotion purposes. There are no additional features and, most importantly, no customization options. Because of these reasons our clients asked us to develop proprietary live-streaming apps.
Features GBKSOFT adds to live streaming apps:
- Extended statistics of users’ activity.
- Payment processing system – PayPal and Stripe payment gateways added.
- Custom Design – This is a must option if you want to build a personal brand as a consultant or service provider.
- Chat – This feature enables direct dialog between streamer and audience, which rises engagement and monetization rates of the app. We can add paid stickers and donates options, so users could support the streamer during the broadcast.
- Connection to Wearables – The client asked us to add this feature to his live fitness app. Using this feature the trainer can adjust the intensity of his workout according to the heart rate data provided by students’ smartwatches.
At first glance, the development of streaming apps seems to require a lot of resources and time. But there is always a way to minimize those expenses.
For instance, we utilize external frameworks and services to streamline the development process. We accumulated an extensive codebase of ready-made solutions, Decoder, Libraries, and Server Infrastructure, created specifically for video streaming purposes.
You can find code solutions and libraries for streaming in our GitHub:
Android 11 is reworking the picture-in-picture experience to be more useful. A crucial change is that now users can resize the picture-in-picture window and make it smaller or bigger. To resize, first, you need to open a video into picture-in-picture mode, then tap and drag from one of the window’s bottom corners.
Recently Apple presented the latest version of iOS. One of the cool new features for the iPhone in iOS 14 is the addition of pictures in picture video. This allows you to play video from one app while surfing around the other app on the device.
Monetization of Video Live Streaming Apps
Production Volumes and Storage
The creative potential of the community is much greater than the production potential of commercial networks and enterprises. Statistics said that in one month more video was uploaded to the web than 3 major US TV networks have produced over the last 30 years!
So why not streamline this? creative energy directly to the network of users, without spending on the server space and other long-term expenses related to the storage of information.
Content Lifetime Limitation
Moreover, the volatile nature of live streams raises its value. Take a Snapchat story as an example: while the lifetime of content is limited, its value naturally increases.
For advertisers streaming ads through broadcasts and live videos means access to the high attentive audience, as long as users can’t pause or run back the tape anymore.
- Paid Apps.
- Live Consultations (mHealth, remote banking, legal advice).
- Paid In-app Channels (tutorials, live parties, concerts).
- Paid In-app Content (banners, strikers, virtual accessories).
- Promotion (branded channel, brand stories).
- Donates (charity, support, crowdfunding).
Depending on the monetization methods and features you choose there is still plenty of opportunities to jump into the live streaming market.
Want to define a monetization method for your case?
How to build a live video streaming web application?
So we gathered all the milestones and prepared step by step algorithm:
- The first step is to define your future audience – location, age, the areas of usage, etc
- Choose the streaming codecs.
- Decide which devices will support your app – here you and your business analysis have to analyze the modern marketplaces
- Check the average bandwidth speed in a county for which you’re going to build a Live Streaming App.
- Add additional functionality that will differ your app from a various number of existing ones.
- Start the building of the project.
MVP of Netflix-like streaming service cost
This is a rough estimate. Actual developer rates can be checked in our manager and compare with prices in other regions.
In 2017 more and more companies began to use the live broadcast, and their number will only grow in the nearest future. The Tubular Labs report shows that Facebook’s real-time streaming activity increased by 200,000 + active users between January and June of last year, while YouTube streaming in real-time increased by 80%. This is now the biggest trend in video marketing, and therefore it is important that you start using live broadcasts in your own campaign.
The area of live streaming is widening every day. More people tend to watch favorite events online as not all of them have the opportunity to go there.
Moreover, streaming can be used not only as a marketing tool but as an independent business if you develop your own app. Choosing the right niche and monetization methods can lead you to incredible success. Become “the new Instagram” or even better! For building a live streaming app you need to choose the experienced team of developers. We have a high level of developing projects for various business areas, so feel free to contact us for a professional consultation.