Despite the high rates of tech development the adoption of new programming languages in business is rather conservative process. Large enterprises, focused on B2B market, tend to stick to the proven technology stacks because it’s cheaper to adapt and it can run on any platform among their customers.
SQL win-win situation
Despite the fact that SQL is not a multi-purpose language (unlike Java), it is still in high demand across the market. SQL’s main function lies in managing the data and as long as users generate new information the popularity of SQL will rise as well.
Here are TOP 10 programming languages by popularity according to Stack Overflow survey:
However, the industry is experiencing a strong proliferation of young programming languages. There are about 300 different languages out there right now.
Which gets us to the list of trending programming languages of 2017:
- Go aka Golang – Created by Google in 2009 Go is being continuously discussed in the community in 2016. It is simple, easy to learn and focused on concise and standardized notation. Go is expected to become a new trend in the upcoming year, after all it was made by Google.
- Rust – is the second highly beloved language among programmers. Rust was launched by Mozilla Firefox in 2014 and by now it’s still on top of the most adored languages for software development.
- Swift – A basic programming language used for development of iOS apps. It almost completely replaced previously used Objective-C language. Swift will stay in trend as long as Apple does.
- Scala – Scala is an object-oriented language with a great number of features from functional programming languages that allowed Scala to become the most popular JVM scripting language.
- Clojure – Despite the fact that it is a dialect of general-purpose Lisp language Clojure boasts the incline to functional programming. It integrates with Java and is interoperable with the .NET ecosystem.
- Hack – It is another child of a big IT-company. 90% of Facebook’ code is on Hack. While it is a dialect of PHP, Hack may become a second wind for a PHP.
- Perl – While Perl is relatively old language, previously known as “the duct tape of the web”. Nevertheless, its versatility makes Perl a “dark horse” of programming that may become a new trend in scripting for CGI, graphic programming or administration.
UPD: Technologies do not stand still and there is a need for an update. As half of 2017 has passed away, there are new programming trends looking out over the horizon. Specifically, two JS frameworks becoming stronger day after day: Reacy and AngularJS. Both pose many cool features which we briefly described in this blog post.
Java 9 arrives, though it’s not so big as previous Java 8 upgrade. The other big thing in Java space in 2018 may be Kotlin. It steadily conquers Android development space and may become that much-anticipated improvement for Android ecosystem.
Why so – you may ask?
It is necessary to understand what stands behind trends and popularity in order to make assumptions for the next year. Those two key factors are complexity and area of application.
The complexity of a programming language determines its adoption speed among programming community. This trait stands for love and fun. Here is why those super easy to learn languages, Rust, Swift and Go take the top of love charts for the second year in a row.
Despite the fact that many programming languages designed to be used for writing software in a wide variety of application domains, their field of application greatly determine the popularity. This is where corporations join the game and put their money on the table. This factor affects the demand for certain specialists and their salaries. After all, demand creates its own supply whether for skills or goods. That is how Swift made its way to the top.
And again sometimes it’s easier to create a new programming language (e.g. Go and Rust) than to adapt the existing one.
Don’t Know What Language to Choose for your Future Project?
Contact Us! We’ll Gladly Provide you an In-depth Consultation
Evgen is a key person that makes your project scalable and easy to maintain. Thanks to his advanced and deep knowledge of innovative technologies our team can produce project with high level of complexity and loading. And apart from being a great expert he's also a reliable team player ready to back you up.
Other Articles of Evgeniy
May 03, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Java is one of the most popular, most adopted and general purpose programming language used by millions of developers and billions of devices around the world. It is a class-based, object-oriented language and designed to be portable, which means that you can find it on all platforms, operating systems, and devices.
Apr 08, 2017 at 3:59 AM
Greate post. Keep writing such kind of information on your blog.
Im really impressed by your blog.
Hello there, You’ve done a fantastic job.
I’ll certainly digg it and for my part recommend to my friends.
I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.
Feb 19, 2017 at 9:17 AM
I must say you have hi quality posts here.
Similar Blog Articles
Top Data Visualization Tools for Finance Industry
We create 2.5 exabytes of data every day. Or 2 500 000 terabytes per day. Financial industry generates a big chunk of this data. What’s more, fintech is one of the most active users of this data. Back in 2015 firms from fintech spent around $6.4 billion on data-related programs. analysts site that those spending...
Top Intelligent Assistants App Ideas for Smart Speakers
Smart Speakers may always be a niche market if there wasn’t such a harsh competition between three tech giant: Amazon, Google, and Apple. Each company has its own smart speaker powered by intelligent assistant and voice control system. Each of them eager to monetize on their techs. However smart speakers are just a tip of...
Bugs not found. How to get from Quality Control to Quality Assurance
The first thing that comes to mind when you think about website testing is a glitch or broken design element. However, testing is a crucial phase that should be applied to each and every stage of web development process. In fact, QA and QC in software testing can help you to distinguish professionals from amateurs.